Memoir Sample
The Board Meeting That Changed Everything
The conference room on the forty-third floor had floor-to-ceiling windows which overlooked the city of Manhattan. It was 6.47 AM and I was the first to arrive though it was intentional.
I was a thirty-two year old CEO of a company which bleed $2 million monthly,and I had exactly ninety minutes to convince the entire board that we didn't need to sell off our firm.Three years of work hung in air and all i could feel was the weight of it in my chest.
My phone buzzed with a text from my co-founder,”They've already made up their minds. This is a courtesy meeting.”
I stared at those words and left the message unread because sometimes, the truth hurts more than expected.
The door opened and David Chen,our lead investor with a Stanford MBA walked in. Right behind him was Margaret Torres, the board member who'd overseen three unicorn exits. Then,James Okonkwo,our newest board member and former partner at Goldman Sachs.
“Morning,” I said,standing to shake hands with a little bit of confidence.
“Let's get started,” David said,skipping pleasantries.That's how I knew my co-founder was right.
I opened my laptop. The presentation I'd worked on for seventy-two straight hours and practiced sixteen times was fully ready— fourty-three slides of data projections,market analysis and competitive brand positioning.
I closed my laptop immediately.”I'm not going to show you the deck,” I said.
The room went silent. Margaret's raised her eyebrows with shock and disbelief written all over her face.
“Three years ago,you invested $8 million on an idea sketched on a napkin. You bet on me,not a business plan. You bet on the vision of transforming how enterprises manage data infrastructure.”
David leaned back.”That was three years ago. The market's different now. Your burn rate—-”
“Is exactly where it's meant to be,” I interrupted. You don't interrupt David Chen. Everyone knows that. But I did it anyway.
“We're not burning money. We're investing in becoming inevitable.”
I stood up and walked to the window. Below,the city was gradually waking up.People were heading to their different workplaces,building things,failing,succeeding,trying again.
“Last quarter, we lost our three biggest enterprise clients. But what you don't know is the reason why we lost them.”
I turned back to face them.
“They didn't leave because our product failed. They left because we succeeded too well. We solved their entire problem that they bought the solution in-house. We made ourselves obsolete by being too good.”
“That's… not exactly how startups pitch solutions” James spoke for the first time.
“We're not pitching solutions. What I'm trying to say is that we've been building the wrong business model.”
I walked back to the table but didn't sit.
“For three years,we've been offering software licenses and subscription models which requires constant retention,support and fear of churn. We've been playing by the rules which will later backfire when our customers finally replace us.”
Margaret pulled out her phone and started typing.
“What if we stopped selling off our software agents and start selling outcomes?”
Margaret stopped typing.
“Instead of charging enterprises $50,000 monthly to license our data infrastructure platform, we charge them $500,000 upfront to completely transform their data architecture. We go in,solve their problem and get paid. We could even become the McKinsey of data infrastructure.”
David expression hadn't changed but he wasn't checking his watch anymore.
“The services model,” James said slowly. You want to pivot from SaaS to professional services?”
“Not exactly. Let's call it the hybrid model. We build the tools but charge for the transformation. Our tech becomes the delivery mechanism not the product. Enterprises don't want software— they want their problems solved.”
“What's the margin on that?” Margaret asked. There it was. She was already calculating the ROI.
“Currently, our software has 80% gross margins but 40% churn annually. We're constantly burning our revenue. Under this model,gross margins drop to 60% but there's no churn. Every engagement is one-time revenue stream that compounds over time.We're not just setting up a subscription base — we're keeping a track record.”
I opened my laptop and pulled up one slide. Just one.
“Three months ago,we're ran a pilot with a Fortune 500 financial institution. Not as a software provider but as transformational partners. We charged $750,000 for a sixteen-week engagement. Our cost was $250,000. Net revenue: $470,000. They're satisfied. We're profitable. And the week after, they're recommending four other divisions to us.”
The energy in the room had shifted from that of a funeral service to a sports arena fully packed with chanting spectators.
“How many of this can you close this year?” David asked.
“With our current team? Eight to ten with each one generating $400-600k in net revenue. That's $4-5 million and we're cash positive by Q3.”
“And the product? The one you've spent three years building?”
“Becomes our competitive moat. Nobody else can deliver this fast because they don't have the blueprint to develop it. We're not pivoting away from our product but finally integrating it with the right business model.”
Margaret dropped her phone down.”You've already started this pivot, isn't It?”
“Two months ago,we secured five contracts worth $3.2 million in total value. I didn't tell you this because I knew you'd have your doubts and I needed points to prove it first.”
“You went rogue on business model pivot without the board approval,” David laughed.
“I went rogue in order to save my company.”
David stood up and walked towards the window I'd stood by earlier. Then said,”What do you need from us?”
“Time. Capital can wait. I need six months to prove how well this model can scale with no pressure to sell.Just six months.”
He turned around. You have four months. After that,we revisit.”
It wasn't what I asked for but it was enough.
The meeting ended at 8:19 AM. When everyone had left and I was left alone, I let out a heavy breath I'd been holding for the past ninety minutes.
My phone buzzed. “How bad?” it was my co-founder who asked over the phone.
“We're alive.”
That was eight years ago. Last year,we were acquired for $340 million by one of those Fortune 500 clients from that first pilot program.
I learnt three things that fateful morning. Firstly, board members prefer conviction more than consensus. Second,the best pivots happens when you're honest about what's broken. Thirdly,for change to happen,you have to risk everything and break every rule especially if it has to do with your company.
The fourty-third floor conference room is someone's else now. But that moment where everything I've worked for could have gone down the drain and instead, birthed a fresh new start still remains fresh in my memory.
Comments
Post a Comment